Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Little Respect

Item: A California woman decided to take a page from Lorena Bobbit and remove her husband's member. She drugged him up, led him to bed, and commenced slicing. This woman took it a step further, however. There will be no fortunate reunion in the OR for her hubby - she tossed the offending piece of flesh into the garbage disposal. I didn't read the whole piece, but I'm going to assume that she thought or knew that her husband was cheating on her.

This really has nothing to do with anything, other than the fact that I was talking about the Bobbitt case with a friend on Facebook yesterday and I mentioned in passing that I had thought that, if she'd REALLY wanted to get him, she would have ground it up in the disposal. So both of us were kind of appalled to see the California story this morning, and I wanted an excuse to use it, so now I have one.

I don't condone mutilation - or violence of any sort - as a means of dealing with being wronged by your mate. But I had a conversation of another sort with my "partner" (I can't bring myself to say "boyfriend" at my age but haven't come up with a successful alternative yet) when he got home from work last night. Let me state right here that it made me exceptionally proud of him, which I am anyway, all the time. It made me love him even more. 

Someone at his job, another male, let us call him Thing 1, asked him if he would sleep with a particular woman. Chef Boyfriend responded, "I don't cheat." And Thing 1 said, "Why?" 

WHY? I have a better question: Why WOULD you?


I have never understood infidelity. For the life of me I haven't. If you don't want to be in a relationship - be it marriage or whatever - then get out of it. Don't make the commitment in the first place, even. Commitment is not for everyone, I will admit. You have to be sure, first of all, that you're enough of an adult to keep your id and your ego in check and not grab every single piece of candy that's in front of you. You have to be a grown up. You have to be aware that there will be times that the person you have committed to is not going to look all that appealing to you. They're going to be a pain in the ass, frankly, and you're going to want to call them names and slam the door in their face. It happens. People have warts, all people. So if you're going to commit to someone, you're going to have to accept that person, warts and all, and not necessarily love the warts, but love them despite the warts. That cute little chewing thing that you find so endearing on the third date is going to turn into a horrendous chomping by the end of the first year. Trust me. Real love is not for the faint of heart or the immature. So if you're really not sure that you can restrain yourself, if you're not completely sold on the fact that you're going to be able to resist another person telling you how fabulous you are - and really and truly hurting and damaging your partner - then don't do it. 


Because you could wind up with a body part in the garbage disposal. Or worse, you could find yourself the subject of one of my blogs. And NOBODY wants that.

3 comments:

  1. Perfectly said. I think she must have had a good reason, not likely it was because he left his socks on the floor. Your thoughts on infidelity are right on target. When I got married divorce was pretty much out of the question. NY had antiquated laws and we were too poor to do anything else. By the time the laws changed, we had children and we had adjusted to our differences. One of our biggest problems was his jealousy. He was convinced that I was sleeping with every man I met. Of course he had a few girlfriends and I will admit to some male friends but it worked for us. We did not love each other but we did love our children. Ultimately he lost his sight so I wouldn't dump him. Our children took care of him until he eventually died of cancer in 2006. I felt bad that he died, he wasn't a bad person, but I don't miss him, my life goes on exactly the same as when he was alive. When I was young I would make voodoo dolls of him when he pissed me off. He totally believed in that shit and as long as he knew there was a pin, he said ouch. But I would never physically harm him or anyone else for that matter. It don't take much to put some people over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking maybe he left someone ELSE'S socks on the floor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't honestly say Phyllis what "good reason' that woman could have had for drugging that man, cutting off his privates as he woke and tossing down the garbage disposal. If he cheated, that's too bad, sorry for the heartache to her, but if the situation was reversed and she had cheated and he had cut off her breasts, I highly doubt any response to this blog would start with "He must have had a good reason"....also I should say...Crazy don't need a reason and the woman is obviously unbalanced.

    ReplyDelete